Skip to content
Home » How many aviation maintenance professionals are there in the world?

How many aviation maintenance professionals are there in the world?

How many aviation maintenance professionals are there in the world? To answer the question directly, in 2022 there are around 200,000 aviation maintenance professionals and the number is growing every year. However, the aviation world is facing a huge shortage of maintenance professionals.

What are the salaries in aviation maintenance?

aviation maintenance professionals

According to glassdoor.com, the world’s best salary review site, in the United States, an aviation maintenance employee earns an average of $76,000 per year.

In Europe, if we take France as a reference country, the average salary of an aviation maintenance professional is $55,000 per year. However, in Asia, more specifically in China, the average salary for an aviation maintanance job is around $26 000 per year.

How many aviation maintenance professionals will be needed?

how many aviation maintenance professionals

Cambridge says that over the next 20 years we will need more than 770,000 aviation maintenance workers. Boeing said that they will need more than 200,000 maintanance professionals by 2040 to keep their entire fleet up and running.

The average age for aviation maintenance professionals is 51, which will make things even worse in aviation when they retire. Young people in general are not attracted to this field. This is largely due to the misconception that it is a dirty job, that they have to work with older people and so on. However, a study shows that only 75% of those who get a qualification in aviation maintenance end up working in this field. The other 25% are attracted to other fields, where their skills and knowledge are fully recognised.

What are the hopes for the future?

how many aviation maintenance professionals

In the future, many of these jobs are expected to be replaced by robots. However, it’s still a long way off and airlines need to find ways to encourage young people to choose such a job.

Aviation maintenance professionals also have very big responsibilities. A good example is the mistake made by an aircraft maintenance employee who put the wrong bolts on the windscreen and the pilot was blown out during the flight. See the full story here.

Share the article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.